Sunday, August 9, 2009

Mach 3 Turbo Vs Quattro Titanium

Hair on my body and face (except on my head) grows exceptionally fast.

Although I am quite lazy to shave as often, I am being forced to do so at these times when I am hunting for a job to at least look presentable in front of the people who might turn out to be my next employer or even people who might help to get me a job.

All these years, I have relied on my trustworthy Gillette Mach 3 Turbo to perform the heavy duty of trimming and shaving my facial hair.

I think when I bought it 4 year back, I paid about RM25 for it and now it only cost about RM18 and comes in two different colors, blue and red. The cartridges are killer though. Cost a whooping RM35 for a packet of four.

In terms of design, it has 3blades and the green strip at the top turns white after a few uses indicating it is time to change those blunt blades.


I am currently back in Melaka and I have forgotten to bring my Gillette back with me. So I bought myself a new one. Only this time, I wanted to try out something different. My attention was caught while I was browsing through the men grooming section in Jaya Jusco. It is called Schick Quattro Titanium.

Sounds really cool right?
Well the price was about the same as the Turbo but a packet of 4 cartridges costs only RM25. The thing that really caught my attention was that it has 5 TITANIUM blades. 4 at the front and another at the backside for precision shaving on sideburns and goatees. Sounds like you going to slaughter rather than shaving with those Titanium blades.


After all, I am an Indian and immediately the Indian in me was telling, "more blades means MUST be better."

More blades does not mean I am going to end up like this

So having 5 blades really any better than just 3?

In terms of comfort, I think the Mach 3 does a better job than the Quattro. Even a brand new set of Quattro can cause a slight pain when shaving. Not sure why though. Its either the Titanium blades is really useless or my facial hair is super strong. I am thinking it is because the Mach 3 has blades that are more flexible and is designed in such a way that it mimics the contour of your face when shaving. Quatrro lacks a little in this department.


As for the shaving itself, both the blades perform almost identically. Despite the Quattro having 1 extra blade at the front, it is of no use when compared to the power of Turbo. But the 1 extra blade on the backside is really useful. It makes it easier for me to shape my sideburns more easily.

There was one major flaw that really turned me off while using Quattro. You see from the picture above, the cartridge of a Gillette and a Schick are almost of the same size. That means the blades of the Quattro are more closely packed. This causes hair build up in between the blades and these things are impossible to be removed. As you use it more often, the hair just keep clogging and as a result, shaving causes agonizing pain as though someone is using a pair of tweezers to pull your hair out.

Less cycle means more money spent on buying the replacement cartridges. A Mach 3 cartridge can give me maximum 5 to 6 shaves while the Quattro only gives maximum 4.

To sum it all up, saraslacker's weapon of choice is still Gillette's Mach 3 Turbo. This also proves me and my Indian mentality wrong that more blades = better.

Think of it this way, when you do cut yourself while shaving, you have one less blade to worry about.

Just don't ask your wife/girlfriend to shave you

No comments: