Wednesday, October 14, 2009

India

A few weeks back I was in India visiting my relatives. For the uninformed, I am only the 2nd generation living in Malaysia and I have relatives everywhere I turn in India. Just for the record, I have relatives occupying a whole village in India. That is roughly 30 families all in the area of 100 meter squared

But that wasn't a problem for me. It was their lifestyle that I find very hard to adapt to. So to give you some hints on what I went through, I have compiled some facts about India that you will definitely not find in your itinerary when visiting India.

Kissing in public is strictly prohibited


In Malaysia, sometime you can get lucky and people won't notice it. But in India, people are everywhere and you better not push your luck. It is taboo there.

Pissing in public? Sure go ahead. Anywhere you like


Since toilets are very limited over there, you can see people answering nature's call like they have just got a call from their girlfriend/boyfriend.

Road usage

- They drive on the freaking wrong side of the road.


- The most important component in a vehicle is horn


They sound the horn for basically everything: overtaking, entering a corner, exiting a corner. Heck they even sound horn when they are nearing a railway track as though the train is going to slow down for them to pass.

- Priorities in road

1. Cows


If you bang a cow, there are a few possibilities that might occur
~ You die from the accident and the cow walks away as though nothing had happened.
~ Both the cow and you die from the accident.
~ The cow dies and you will be alive for a little longer before the cow owner comes and kill you

So no matter what happens, you will still die.

2. Goats


The same reasoning as the cows

3. Vehicles


It is like riot everyday. I have no idea how they can drive over there. I remember there was one time on the busy main road, we were looking for a landmark and we missed it. The driver just coolly makes a u-turn at the busy street. I as a passenger almost died from cardiac arrest.

4. Pedestrians


I'm guessing since the population there is overflowing, so the importance given to pedestrians is almost zero.

Toilets

Since for most people, the public is the toilet, public toilets are rare commodities over there. Even if you do find one, it will not be clean. Believe me, it was nightmare every time I went to these public toilets as they are dirty beyond imaginable. After thinking long and hard, I have decided not to post the picture of the toilet that I have got.

Now that you know something about India, I would like to wish Happy Holidays and enjoy your stay there to anyone who is intending on visiting India. I hope my guide gave you some insight about India to prepare you for the trip.

VANAKAM. WELCOME TO INDIA

2 comments:

Mike Tee said...

Hahah good one, very insightful. Vanakam and Happy Deepavali!

SaRa said...

Haha..thanks mike..missing the monday futsal session. Will be back soon..