Friday, August 22, 2008

Kena Screw

Well let me start off this post just by giving you a brief definition of what screw means as given in the online dictionary.
    1. A cylindrical rod incised with one or more helical or advancing spiral threads, as a lead screw or worm screw.
    2. The tapped collar or socket that receives this rod.
    3. A tapered and pointed wood screw.
    4. A cylindrical and flat-tipped machine screw.
    5. A prison guard.
    6. The turnkey of a jail.
    7. Salary; wages.
    8. A small paper packet, as of tobacco.
    9. An old broken-down horse.
    10. A stingy or crafty bargainer.
  1. A metal pin with incised threads and a broad slotted head that can be driven as a fastener by turning with a screwdriver, especially:
    1. A tapered and pointed wood screw.
    2. A cylindrical and flat-tipped machine screw.
    3. A prison guard.
    4. The turnkey of a jail.
    5. Salary; wages.
    6. A small paper packet, as of tobacco.
    7. An old broken-down horse.
    8. A stingy or crafty bargainer.
  2. A device having a helical form, such as a corkscrew.
  3. A propeller.
  4. A twist or turn of or as if of a screw.
  5. Vulgar Slang The act or an instance of having sexual intercourse.
I'm sure many would have thought I'm writing this post to announce to the world that I've done as written in the definition number 6. Sorry to disappoint you all, but this post is not going to be on my sexual encounter.

Unfortunately, we Malaysian have another meaning for the term 'kena screw', which also means 'kena marah' or more commonly used among chinese are 'kena tiao'...wait...'even tiao' has two meanings as well and one of them refers to definition number as 6 above (what a coincidence :-P).

Let me get straight to the point. As I've already mentioned in my first post, I'm currently doing my FYP under Dr Kenny. Since we have not progressed on anything on that, TPK and I came up with a design of a solar water distiller that we want to work on and went to meet Dr Kenny to show our design.

After looking at the rough sketching of our design for what seems to be an eternity,

Dr Kenny: So have you calculated what are the amount of radiation your design can collect?
TPK and I looked at each other
Me: No sir.
Dr Kenny: OK, have you calculated the flow rate your design?
TPK and I looked at each other again
Me: No sir.
Dr Kenny: *Taking deep breath* U see, this project is extensive. I think you have to do research on the previous journals and study the pros and cons of their design and study the solar radiation throughout the day in Malaysia and see how you can make your design better.
TPK and I: *Heads held low* OK, thank you sir.

So my friends, although it may not sound as bad as I started this post, it was actually quite embarrassing. We knew Dr Kenny not going to 'screw' us with any vulgar words or swear at us. But having already studied under him for 2 years plus, TPK and I know its bad enough. The word 'extensive' he used proves that
1. Our design is crap.
2. What the hell have you been doing so far?
3. Be more serious on what you do.
To make matters worst, TPK reminded him about our proposal paper, which in my opinion, has nothing really informative. And Dr Kenny asked us to meet him next week to talk bout the paper as he haven't looked at it.

Stay tune for 'Kena Screw Round 2'!!.

No comments: